Are you ready to jump from a job to starting a new freelance business?
In this episode, Kitty and I talk about making the leap, and the steps you need to succeed as a freelancer. Since we’re both writers, we focus on writing, but these strategies will work whether you’re a writer, designer, programmer, or other type of freelancer.
- The right timing for the jump
- Making it easy for prospective clients to find you
- Confidence (or overcoming imposter syndrome)
- Finding clients who value what you do
Got a comment or question about starting a freelance business? Post it on Twitter with the hashtag #anywhereist! Of course, you can always leave a comment below.
Resources from the Podcast
- AWAI State of the Industry Report – to help you with pricing if you’re a writer
- 5 Steps to Boosting Your Confidence – a helpful article from Wealthy Web Writer’s Managing Editor to help freelance writers gain confidence. I also recommend joining Wealthy Web Writer. Here’s more information about it.
- Articles on finding your niche:
- How to Figure Out Your Best Paying Freelance Writing Niche
- Quit Obsessing Over Your Freelance Writing Niche – Do This Instead – slightly contrarian advice from SEO expert Heather Lloyd Martin
- This New Year, Give Yourself the Gift of a Niche
- Some Facebook and LinkedIn groups for freelance writers:
In these podcasts, we always leave you with some resources to help you with various parts of your Anywhereist journey.
Over the past few weeks, I’ve been consolidating all our best resources in one place. As we add new resources, I’ll add them to the page.
It includes things like a link to Alison Johnson’s website that we talked about in Episode 14, my preferred hosting and theme companies for WordPress sites, lots of tools and apps to help you organize your online business, travel information, and more.
Basically, it gives you everything we use to make our Anywhereist lives easier, simpler, more fun, or to save us money. It can do the same for you. Check it out at anywhereist.com/resources.
Thanks for the great music! Our theme music is provided by SoundCloud, and we’re featuring artist ItIs Leanne, playing Corta-Jaca – tango brasileiro.
Follow Your Co-Hosts
Your co-hosts are Susanna Perkins (Anywhereist) and Kitty Navias.
Susanna’s a serial solopreneur, blogger, freelance writer, WordPress maven, and all-around portable career enthusiast. She developed her anywhereist lifestyle in an act of desperation following the US financial meltdown in 2009. During that time she’s moved 7 times, and worked from hundreds of locations at home and abroad.
Kitty’s a millennial with a lot of creative pursuits — she’s a musician, photographer, and writer. She’s traveled extensively, with plans for a lot more. On the show, Kitty will be providing us with tips and resources to keep our lives under control and moving in a forward direction as we become Anywhereists.
Follow Anywhereist on Instagram @the_anywhereist
Like Anywhereist on Facebook @Anywhereist
Follow Anywhereist on Twitter @TheAnywhereist